Trusted Legal Representation Since 1972

  1. Home
  2.  – 
  3. Family Law
  4.  – How do you represent that person?

How do you represent that person?

On Behalf of | Jan 30, 2015 | Family Law |

As lawyers with a very broad practice, we occasionally represent clients that are involved in serious matters that may not paint them in a favorable light.  One of the most common questions we get at social gatherings is “How can you represent that” person or company?

Well, for us, the answer is simple; we are sworn to do so.  After a lawyer graduates law school and passes the bar exam, they get sworn in to receive their license to practice the law.  In Minnesota, that oath is administered by a Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court, or for Federal Court, by a sitting Federal Judge.  In Minnesota, the attorneys oath of office is found in Minnesota Statutes §358.07(9).  It states:

“You do swear that you will support the Constitution of the United States and that of the state of Minnesota, and will conduct yourself as an attorney and counselor at law in an upright and courteous manner, to the best of your learning and ability, with all good fidelity as well to the court as to the client, and that you will use no falsehood or deceit, nor delay any person’s cause for lucre or malice. So help you God.”

The Constitutions of the United States and Minnesota provide for many things, including equal protection and due process for all citizens under the law.  That means that no matter what you’ve allegedly done, you are entitled to those protections.  The lawyer’s job is to vigorously and ethically defend his client to protect those rights.  Don’t automatically equate a lawyer representing someone with a moral acceptance of the person’s conduct.  The lawyer has a job to do, and good lawyers do it with the same commitment to all clients, regardless of the facts of the case.  They do it because they are sworn to do it.

At JMW, we take that role seriously.  Whether it is a criminal case, family court case, probate issue, business dispute, or any one of the other areas we practice, we give our all to each and every client.  That’s our job, and we do it well.

If you’d like to discuss your case with one of our attorneys, please call us at 952-314-4189.