Kevin J. Wetherille
Kevin began working with Jaspers, Moriarty & Walburg during law school as a Law Clerk. After spending over 2 years clerking with Jaspers, Moriarty & Walburg, the firm hired Kevin as an associate following his admission to the bar in 2003. Kevin was named a shareholder in Jaspers, Moriarty & Walburg in 2007. Kevin became the firm CEO/Managing Partner in 2014. Currently, Kevin resides in Shakopee, Minnesota with his wife and their three children.
A significant portion of Kevin's practice is devoted to litigation in the areas of Civil Litigation, Probate Law, Family Law as well as more transactional areas of practice such as Estate Planning and Real Estate. Kevin has represented clients in settlement negotiations, alternative dispute resolution, trial, and appeals. Kevin’s ability to craft creative solutions based upon the facts of each case sets him apart from many other attorneys.
Kevin has also been appointed by local district court judges as a receiver, neutral personal representative in probate cases, guardian ad litem for litigants in family law cases and currently serves as the Scott County Veterans Treatment Court defense counsel.
Areas of Practice
- General Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Wills, Trusts, Probate (contested/uncontested)
- Real Estate
- Family Law
- Personal Injury
- Child Protection
- Defense Attorney for Scott County Veterans Treatment Court
- Minnesota, 2003
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 2005
- Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux (Dakota) Tribal Court, 2006
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Carleton College, Northfield, MN
- B.A. - 2000
- Major: History (Particular Focus on United States & Native American History)
- Guest panelist, Thomson West "Meet the Customer", panel regarding internet marketing for law firms., Thomson West, December 9, 2004 – Present
- Numerous local seminars on Estate Planning
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), 2003 to 2008
- Minnesota Association for Justice (f/k/a Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association), 2006 to 2014
- Minnesota State Bar Association, 2000 to Present
- Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (MACDL), 2010 to 2010
- 2017 Super Lawyers Rising Stars List
- Recognized as NorthStar Lawyer by Minnesota Bar Association for pro-bono service, 2015 to 2015
Past Employment Positions
- Jaspers, Moriarty & Walburg, Law Clerk
- Leonard, Street & Deinard, Case Clerk, 1997 to 1998
Pro Bono Activities
- Served as volunteer youth basketball coach with Shakopee Boys Basketball Association, 2016-2019
- President, Shakopee Dollars for Scholars, 2019-Present
- Director, Shakopee Dollars for Scholars, 2014-Present
- Shakopee Public Schools-Human Resources Academy Advisory Council, 2016
- Greater MSP-Partner Advisory Council, 2016-2018
- Member, ad hoc Shakopee Business Leaders Group, 2015
- Director, Saints Healthcare Funds, 2013-2018
- Director, Scott County Historical Society President, 2016-2018, 2012-2018
- Member, Shakopee Economic Development Advisory Commission, 2011-2017
- Chairman of the Board, Shakopee Chamber of Commerce, 2010-2011
- Director, Shakopee Chamber of Commerce 2006-2012
- Career Exploration Fair, Shakopee High School
- Recently served as Advisory Counsel in 3 criminal jury trials.
- Appointed to serve as Advisory Counsel in 6 pending criminal cases.
- Ongoing civil commitment litigation over failure of the Commissioner of Human Services to provided legally mandated mental health treatment to individuals held in jail against the law.
- Served as neutral court appointed Personal Representative in two estates with values of over $1m.
- Served as court appointed Receiver in dissolution case.
- Representing several land owners in real estate development sales.
- Handling multiple contested condemnation matters regarding value of land taken by government.
- Recently reached positive financial settlement for client hit by car when walking as a pedestrian.
- Served as moderator for successful moderated settlement conference in marital dissolution matter involving high value marital estate.
- Served as court appointed special magistrate and arbitrator in dissolution matter involving high value complex marital estate.